Crisis, the Storygame RPG
A downloadable game
Crisis is a roleplaying game of escalating stakes racing against disaster to tell a story. Players define the margins and color in the major points at the beginning of the session, and explore those plots, people, and places in detail during the scenes themselves. Each scene features a player character designated the Protagonist whose story is told for that scene. Another player is their Foil, putting obstacles in their way to test them and show all of us what they are capable of. In this way, every player is both a character and a game master.
These challenges are resolved without dice by raising the stakes and pushing back against each other until a satisfying conclusion presents itself. At the end of every scene, one of the crises lurking on the horizon comes a step closer to fruition as clocks tick closer to doom, lending an urgency to the scenes as disaster is always an option.
This version of Crisis is an active playtest: feedback on this version of the game helps build a better engine for future releases and can provide a discount on the final version of the game if/when it it gets a full release.
NEW in v 0.3 is a discussion of the four scenes and how they map onto a traditional three act structure, updated rules about player vs. player conflict, and a new scenario featuring the Steelheart Skies fantasy setting, along with general streamlining and clarification throughout.
- Character and setting creation guidelines
- Full rules to play a one-shot session of Crisis lasting between 3 and 6 hours. Diceless, GMless, with players alternating scenes as protagonists and gamemasters framing scenes for their fellow players.
- Four scenarios in different genres to explore the mechanics of Crisis: sci-fi aboard a failing generation ship, weird west when the Devil wants his guns back, gothic horror where hidden monsters are claiming your friends and neighbors, and a new airship fantasy adventure escaping pirates and sky serpents.
- The Playtest pdf is the game formatted for viewing on a screen.
- The Booklet pdf is formatted for printing and folding in half to make a physical booklet.
- The Plain Text version is just the text from the game without images and formatting.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.